DISCLOSURE: The utmost transparency with my readers is important to me. Therefore, I want to fully disclose that within this post there may be affiliate links. If an affiliate link exists, it's a product/service I trust or it wouldn't be there in the first place.
Hey Mom – Write… and Make Money Now
One of the easiest ways to make money online is through writing. There are all sorts of content and publishing companies that need people to write articles, blog posts, and even electronic books for their websites. Some will even pay you to answer questions on their websites. You may be wondering where to start – or even what kind of opportunities are out there. Hopefully the following links can get you started making money by writing.
If you want to try and earn some extra income by writing articles online, there is a whole market out there just for that! With the growing popularity of electronic readers (e-readers) and tablets as well as smart phones that are like mini computers, more and more publishers are realizing that having online formats of newspapers, magazines, and other print publications is a given.
Getting started as a freelance writer online can be a bit challenging at first. Often you will need to submit some sort of online application or go through a screening process. Sometimes you might have to provide samples of previous work you have done or a link to your blog, if you have one. Once you are hired or given assignments, it's time to get to work on your submissions. Then, when your work is turned in, getting paid is the easy part!
Some websites will pay you for your work and also for the rights to anything you write for them, which usually means a higher paycheck, but you can't re-distribute anything you have written. Other websites won't buy the rights to your pieces, but will still pay a stipend per article. Most of the time, payment for work is sent through PayPal, Western Union, or other types of money transfer services, rather than sending writers a check. Some of the sites listed here, and many others will pay more for work that is well written, and stands out. So, as your skills and writing ability improves, your paycheck can definitely go up. The great thing about writing is that you can always get better.
Here are a few websites that are always looking for writers:
* Methodshop.com – this website is looking for people to write about all things technology, including the iPad, iPod, and other Apple products. Before you can write for them you must apply for a blogger account with them, follow them through social media, and see what kind of writers they are currently seeking. Pay is dependent on the quality of work that you submit.
* About.com – they offer opportunities for people to become full time bloggers with About.com, and earning several hundred dollars each month. They are one of the more difficult websites to get started with, as they have fairly strict guidelines. They typically look for people who possess good writing skills, and a good amount of knowledge and expertise about a particular subject.
* MommyThink – this parenting website is looking for a few good mommas – to write that is – on all sorts of things from pregnancy and childbirth to cloth diapering, breastfeeding, and homeschooling. Writers can earn about ten cents per word for articles written.
* FreelanceWritingGigs.com – this website will list the most recent freelance writing jobs available on the web. They also offer tips and hints at how to improve your skills and become a better writer. They also offer suggestions on how to get started making an income by writing online content.
* OrganizedWisdom.com – for those with a medical background and experience, this is a great place to put that knowledge to work outside the hospital or doctor's office. You can earn money writing articles on various medical topics or even some tutorials.
* WiseGeek.com – this website has a wealth of available writing topics – several hundred, to be exact. Writers can pick and choose what they want to write about, and payment can range from $10-14 per article – not bad! (This is a great gig if you can get it – but they aren't always hiring.)
* AllWriting.net – this is another great website with lots of topics to choose from. They also have an application process and if you get accepted – you can make up to $20 per written page! That's a pretty decent freelance salary for online work!
If you're interested in checking out even more opportunities to write freelance – see this large list on the writing jobs directory page. As well, if blogging interests you – there are blog writing ideas here. Also, you should look at the websites of your favorite magazines and newspapers as well, they may be in the market for freelance work, too. Many people that have been able to have a part time, or even full time income from online freelance writing.
Are you making money using one of the sites above? We'd love for you to share your experience. Also – if you have other suggestions for writers – feel free to share in the comments section below.