How Do I Make Money by Sending or Receiving Text Messages?
Though you might have just stumbled on the idea of make making money with texting, I assure you, it's real. There are many companies out there willing to pay you to receive text or SMS messages and send them.
I was so curious about making money texting, that I had to research it myself! I needed to know if you could really make money with your cell phone texting. So, below you will find a list of all the ways I have found to ramp up this side hustle for yourself. But, heads up, some of these can be a bit “spicey”, if you know what I mean. I just like to be upfront when it comes to anything in the area of “adult” stuff.
But – that being said, they are not all like this. As a matter of fact, it's not the majority. So, let's explore this together and see if we can actually get paid to text.
Text for Cash Apps
Obviously, texting is going to happen on a smartphone. That means we need to look at apps offering ways to get paid to receive text messages. Below are all of the current apps that I could find.
– Sadly, McMoney is Android only. Basically you install the app (which free) and you'll start earning money for every text message you receive. The texts will be random and on no one particular topic. McMoney states on their website that it's completely secure and safe for you to use. You will need to hit a threshold for your country and these vary. You can also donate your earnings if you wish. Payments are made through PayPal.
Operating System: Android
Payment Threshold: Varies by country due to varying fees. (In the USA it's $1)
Payment: PayPal, once a week.
This is gonna be a sloooooow earner in my opinion. I don't own an Android phone, but if I did — I might install it for funzies and just see how much I can earn in a year. Why not? There are a few threads on reddit regarding McMoney here and here, if you want to dive in and read what others have experienced with McMoney. The good and the bad.
– I was somewhat disappointed when I first researched this one. I thought it was IMGUR! Nope — not even close. IMGR is an iOS based app that pays you to text your friends. This is not gonna be for everyone. IMGR creates marketing campaigns with big brands. These campaigns get a boost by having folks like you and me share the promotion with friends and family.
You'll accumulate points for sharing. These points can be redeemed for cash or gift cards. Specifically PayPal cash and iTunes and GooglePlay gift cards.
You'll have to be pretty diligent about all the sending and receiving of text messages. You're going to have to have at least 90 points to earn $1. And your points DO NOT carry over to the next month. So, if it's the end of the month and you only have 89 points… guess what? You just lost $1. Which sucks. They also cap how much you can earn for each contact at $5 per month. I can see the good and the bad with this system.
It's certainly “easy” enough. The “ads” are basically tacked on to the messages you're texting.
Operating System: iOS and Android
Payment Threshold: Minimum of 90 points (which is $1)
Payment: PayPal (You can also donate to charity.)
– I've got a post on my site about answering questions for money. And I will certainly be adding Fibler to it that list. If you're an expert in a certain field, you can get paid to text answers to people. What kind of fields? I've listed them below:
*All other Experts and Advisors
You're paid per minute and payments are simultaneous for the rendered service. Not a bad gig if you can get enough people asking you questions. But I feel like most of us are NOT doctors and lawyers looking for side hustles. Am I right? But I still wanted to mention this one because you never know who might stumble across this fine post of mine and think… “Yo, I know all about blah blah blah…” and voila, extra cash is made!
Get Paid to Text Business Ideas
Lets go outside the box a little bit when it comes to being paid for texting stuff. How about creating a business around texting? It can be done. Here are a couple of examples.
– Good ole Fiverr! The “you can earn doing absolutely anything” website. I should sound sarcastic. I'm not trying to be. I actually have earned with Fiverr by selling Pinterest pin creation. I made around $250! Just like me selling Pinterest pin creation, you can sell “texting” services.
These texting services don't have to be just “receiving text messages”. You can also earn by translating text messages too. As well, you can offer to send someone's text message to others. Basically sending out a text to an audience for marketing. You'll need the audience though. And that audience needs to be legit and consenting to receive these messages. You could be fined otherwise.
Get Paid to Flirt Text
Now, I wanted to put these in a separate category, because this is not something that appeals to everyone. However, I have been asked about it and asked to provide resources for those out there interested in getting paid to flirt text. It's just like selling feet pics, this is not something everyone is going to look into to earn extra money. BUT, there are many, many out there very interested in putting their feet out there and profiting. Yes, it's legit.
That being said, and tootsie pics aside — there are also apps and services out there that will pay you to get paid to text flirt and talk. I have no idea at what level of raunchy this can get. I've never personally done it. Maybe it's pretty innocuous. Loneliness is a real thing and having someone to flirt and chat with might be the difference between a really bad day and decent day. Psychoanalyzing the whys is not the point of this post.
In the end, yes, you can get paid to flirt via text messaging. Now lets take a look at how you can go about it.
– Sorry guys – but this is a woman only chat operation. Basically women flirting with men. You have to be 18 or older, and yes, you will need to verify your age. As well, there are only a handful of countries that can participate. The USA, Canada, Australia and the United Kingdom.
With Flirtbucks you'll be “messaging” from your computer. They ask that you have a webcam too. But the webcam isn't for risque activities – their site clearly states, “We pay you to Chat, not Perform.” I know that makes many of you uncomfortable. But if it doesn't, you'll also need great typing skills, be fluent in English and be able to easily carry on a conversation.
The pay isn't bad. Below you see that the longer you stay on as a chat operator, the more you get paid.
You can see where this could actually be a nice chunk of change. And you can set your own hours. Talk all night if you like. Or talk during your afternoon tea! They don't care. You set the hours that work best for you.
Operating System: PC or Mac + Webcam
Payment Threshold: Every two weeks.
This platform is another pay to flirt. One look at the site and I'm like…”Uhhhhh… this looks pretty racy?!” Obviously, they offer more ways to earn than just texting if you're interested. You can do webcam performances and even sell your pics. But if I know my audience like I think I do — you guys are not interested in more than just the texting aspect. So, lets focus on that.
You receive 1 credit for each message reply you send. You receive a set rate for that. If you do more than messaging, then you set your rate for those “other” things.
They state your privacy is protected and that their platform is safe.
Operating System: iOS, Android, Mac or PC
Payment Threshold: They don't state a “cash out” threshhold.
Payment: You can redeem your credits through Skrill or check.
3. Lip Service
– Yet again, phone and text opportunities. You can totally work from home and set your own hours. Those are both pluses. You must be 18 years of age and live in the United States or Canada.
You'll need to have a dedicated phone line or a high quality cell phone. As well, as a headset.
I find the fact that they don't list payment details a little disturbing. They do offer work for both English and Spanish. You're considered an independent contractor, so you will need to take care of your own taxes.
Operating System: PC or Mac
Payment Threshold: Unknown
– I guess they are the kings because they are the only platform I found that allows many, many languages. Along with English and Spanish, they allow Dutch, Czech, French, German, Italian and Norwegian. You will need to be at least 18 years old and have proof of identity.
According to their site, “Most of our partners pay rate ranges from $15.00-24.00 per hour of talk time. Payments are issued on a weekly or monthly basis, depending on the project. We pay bonus to top phone operators.” That could add up if you are able to keep the conversations going on a regular basis. You'll need at a minimum to be able to type/text 25 words per minute. That's fairly easy.
They offer bonuses to operators that perform at a higher level.
Operating System: Laptop, Desktop or Phone
Payment Threshold: No threshold, but they state 6-12 euro cent per message.
Payment: Weekly or Monthly
– Texting, sharing “drinks”… seems like fun. And you can earn cash? Lets check it out. This app allows you to create your profile and check out who else is out there on the platform that you'd like to message. If someone messages you first, you earn .35 cents. This is called “drinks”.
You can do more than just text. You can have video chats too if you're up for it. You'll make money for your video chats as well. Oh, and if whomever you're chatting with is completely smitten — they can send you gifts too!
Operating System: Android
Payment Threshold: $10
Payment: US Bank Account/Direct Deposit
6. Text121 Chat
– They've been around since 2003. They offer the ability to work at home as long as you'll commit to their contract for 1000 texts or PSO 4800 minutes. Contractors not reaching this minimum will be terminated. You'll be self-employed. This is not a W2 position. You must be 18 to apply and you will need to have identity proof like a drivers license or passport. You'll need to upload an image of it.
You'll also need to provide a proof of address, like a utility bill.
They do offer training once you are accepted into the program on how to use their system. They offer around the clock support for you too. Make no bones about it — this is “sexting” from everything I've read.
Operating System: Android or IOS
Payment Threshold: You're paid based on “the current pay scale”. Their site states, “If you have not achieved the minimum required texts your logins are deleted and no payment is issued or rolled over to the next month.”
Payment: Payments are made on the 21st of every month.
7. Chat Recruit
– UK readers – this is for you. Though you can do “extras” — you can also be paid to simply text. If you've heard of Only Fans, then you'll be familiar with the ability to only allow subscribers to see “special” content. Chat Recruit allows you to do this if you like.
There is no cost to join, but Chat Recruit does take a portion of your earnings. This site is more like Fiverr, where you set up what you offer and what your rates are. Their site states (for chat jobs), “Earn for every minute of every call and cash out weekly, fortnightly, or monthly.”
You'll need to be 18 or older with proof of identity.
You can stay completely anonymous. They never share your real name of personal details.
Operating System: Landline or Mobile
Payment Threshold: You can choose, weekly bi-weekly or monthly.
Payment: Bank Account with your name on it.
A Few Text for Cash Honorable Mentions
Just a few more I wanted to mention to make sure I'm offering up as many ways to earn money for receiving text messages as I possibly can find! Check them all out if you're serious about delving into the “how much can I earn texting” realm. I figure if you sign up for a few, there is a better chance to earn more than pennies. However, your phone is gonna blow up more and more by adding lots of these texting opps.
1. MoneySMS – Similar to McMoney.
2. IQ – I've personally earned over $100 with this one. You get paid .25 to .50 cents to answer questions. And sometimes they have promotions where you can earn .25 per referral.
Conclusion on Ways to Make Money with Your Cell Phone Texting
You read the post, right? As you can see there are many sources out there in order to make money texting. And they range from business like texting to the more racy flirt texting. Do I think you can make a full time income? Hmmmm… I'm going to say no. I don't think the “majority” of people out there that go into texting for money make a full time income. Sure, there are going to be those that have and can do it. And more power to anyone that can literally make their career as a “texter”. To me, that seems like not a bad way to “go to work” each day.
But to be very serious, and not a super downer — I do think some of this texting for money can lead to degrading or hurtful conversations. And I also want to touch on being safe. It always goes without saying — but I never want to be the blogger doesn't absolutely cover being cautious with something like flirt texting or any kind of texting with complete strangers. Whether you're making money at it or not. BE SAFE. Don't be dumb.
Never give your personal information or location. Nothing identifiable. We've all seen the stories in the news about whackadoodles out there. I want no whackadoodles coming for you! Be smart!