DISCLOSURE: The utmost transparency with my readers is important to me. Therefore, I want to fully disclose that within this post there may be affiliate links. If an affiliate link exists, it's a product/service I trust or it wouldn't be there in the first place.
Sell Clothes for Cash? YES, You Can!
It's funny that it seems only yesterday that a yard sale was the only way to make some money off your used clothes. If you were lucky… you had things nice enough to take to a consignment shop and maybe make some cash there. Now- with the internet in FULL swing, there are so many ways to sell your clothes online, it's mind-blowing.
There are many out there making serious cash selling their gently used purses, shoes, accessories and of course, clothes. Some that jump in “just to see what happens” are amazed at how they make money within a few hours. Not everyone has this kind of success, but a steady stream of cash is certainly attainable.
I personally cleaned out my closet recently and I finally got rid of a few things I've held on to for a very long time and I am not even sure why. I had a dress I bought back in 1997 to where to an event. It was black with red flowers, flow-y, sleeveless. I've maybe worn it 10 times in the past 18 years. The dress was in very good shape and originally cost me, maybe $70 or $80. I can't imagine me paying more for a dress ( my weakness is purses to be honest!). Anyway – I was able to sell the dress on my Mom's Poshmark account for $47! Yep, a 15 year old dress for more than half of what I paid. I am now addicted. I own several Dooney and Burke purses and I'm actively selling those now.
If you not aware of sites that allow you to sell your clothes online, this list will keep you in the know and give you lots of options to get started. I'm always looking for new apps and sites that let you snag cash or barter clothes online – so bookmark this page and come back often.
List of Sites and Apps to Sell Your Clothes On
– Send them a pic and description of your item for review. Be aware, they have a specific designer list that they accept from. They pay cash upfront. *They do have a refer a friend program – I'd be thrilled if you would input my name on the quote form. (Kelly Land)
– This app/site is addictive. Sellers are allowed to place free listings. Pre-paid mailing labels are sent for items that have sold. They take a 20% cut. The online party feature is a lot of fun in my option and can really boost sales. (My referral code, if you feel so inclined: BVZIJ) App is on Google Play or Apple App store.
– Very similar to Poshmark. Upload pics from your phone, pre-paid shipping and packaging. They take 20% cut. They offer a white glove option where they take care of everything for you.
– Members only (sigh). They use virtual money – you're basically just trading/bartering – so it's not actually “making cash”. But you might be able to trade for something you REALLY want.
– What I love about this site is that it's international. Fashion around the world! They a take 15% cut. They have a list of brands they will accept.
-Fast, easy and fun. Anyone can sell. They give pricing help as well. Their cut is 9%.
-Designer items only. You can handle the sales yourself and they get an 18% cut or let them do it all for you for a 35% cut.
– Another high-end type online reseller. Though you get 60% or 70% of their sales – but they are very selective as to what they will take.
– I love that this site allows you to set up your own little store. It's also international. They offering tracking too – which as a website owner, I love. They allow you to sell not only used items, but new ones too.
– This is for not only designer, but vintage items as well (you retro lovers!). This is invite only though.
– Sell clothes or even swap clothes. A great way to give clothes you've “saved” over the years. They could be in style once again!
– Lets you sell all kinds of clothes: mens, womens, kids. You can also sell other things like electronics, home decor and more.
– Though it's total focus is not clothes, I do see lots of shoes and handbags being sold on there. They have an easy to use app.
-Offers a fashion-forward consignment marketplace. As one of the largest designer pre-owned luxury boutiques in the world, Couture large inventory includes designer fashion such as, clothing, handbags, jewelry, and accessories. Couture sells items on their website and retail store.
**Speaking of clothes… read my review and experience with StitchFix here — did I hate it? Or love it?
If I've missed an online resale site, please let me know using the contact form and I'll do my best to get it added. If you have experience (good or bad) with any of the sites or apps mentioned above, please don't hesitate to comment below. Sharing experiences and information helps everyone that comes to this page looking for ways to sell clothes online. Thanks in advance!