This post may contain affiliate links. Please see the disclosure for more details.
Resume Help for Telecommuting Jobs and Careers
So you're ready to ditch the 2 hour morning commute and become more productive by working at home. You find the perfect job and decide to send the company your resume, you wait, then you wait some more, then nothing happens. Are you wondering why they are not beating down your door to hire you? It could be your “first impression” was a dud.
Telecommuting Resume Help 101
In the past, when I was a professional Resume Writer, I come across some pretty scary resumes! If you are looking to telecommute , you are going to need a nice cover letter and resume to send to employers. On average an employer spends a total of 5 seconds on your resume! He/she will get their first impression of you in those 5 seconds. If your resume is incomplete, sloppy, inconsistent or unclear, they will file your resume away never to look at it again.
I remember, when I worked as a manager and was responsible for hiring, we had two folders, a “Looks Good” folder and a “No Way” folder. Unfortunately, our “No Way” folder was twice as big as the other one! You can have a Masters in Physics, but if you have a bad resume, it isn't going to matter that much! Your resume is a direct reflection of you. If your resume is sloppy, it portrays you as a sloppy worker. If your resume is missing important information, they will consider it unprofessional. Please, do not send a resume without a cover letter, it's like an airplane with no wings, it's not going to fly!
Here is a basic outline for a solid resume:
Your name, address, phone number and email address.
**This should go without sayings – but honestly, I am seeing it more and more. Please capitalize proper pronouns — including your name!
Be clear about what job your are looking for. Example: Actively seeking a telecommuting position where my professional skills in administration can be utilized and advanced.
Summary of Qualifications:
Highlight your best skills here! MAKE them want to hire you! Example: * Over 6 Years of experience as an Administrative Assistant * Ability to execute a number of projects simultaneously. * Highly skilled in administrative and office procedures.
Work History should look like this:
Company name, employment dates, city/state, title.
List all the important job duties you performed. Highlight the most relevant. No more than 6-10 sentences.
School name, date of graduation, degree earned/certificates
List all the programs you know, your typing/data entry speed, and anything else you might be skilled in.
Telecommuting Resume DO's and DONT'S
As far as a “telecommuting” resume goes here are some do's and don'ts:
- DO let them know you would like to “telecommute”
- DON'T Discuss the reasons WHY you want to work from home (I have kids, health problems…etc)
- DO highlight the skills and equipment you have that is suitable for telecommuting.
- DON'T use the phrase “work at home”, use “telecommute from my home office” or “work remotely” instead (more professional)
- DO send a cover letter with EVERY resume you send out (and make it personalized for that position and company)!
- DON'T send an email to an employer asking if they are “legitimate” — SEND YOUR cover letter and resume instead.
- DO highlight all your computer skills, how fast you type, and what computer programs you are familiar with.
- DON'T be afraid to follow up with another letter 2-4 weeks after you send in your resume.GOOD LUCK!
Help with getting your resume created:
I'm offering two recommended resources for having your resume done professionally. Both come with loads of experience and happy customers.
– 100% guaranteed job interviews Or the re-write your resume for free! Lots of experience here! A quarter million satisfied users, over nearly 2 decades!
– Lots of experience and their writers are certified resume writers. They also will revise your resume within 30 days if you're completely dissatisfied with it. They offer a few other cool services. For instance – you can hire them to write your LinkedIn Profile!