DISCLOSURE: The utmost transparency with my readers is important to me. Therefore, I want to fully disclose that within this post there may be affiliate links. If an affiliate link exists, it's a product/service I trust or it wouldn't be there in the first place.
Job Search: Finding Work at Home on the Internet
Moms! Those Legitimate Work at Home Jobs are Out There
The Internet can be a awesome resource for finding information and as a tool for your job search. But, it also is not the ONLY resource one has to find a job from home.
75% of employers looking to hire someone to work from home DO NOT advertise the position. Let me illustrate a prime example of an employer looking to hire someone to help out from home. Mr. Smith owns a small business in your neighborhood, a small vet clinic on the corner. Business has picked up and there seems to be a lot of “extra” work to be done. Mr. Smith is behind on printing up his vaccination notices, cold-calling past clients that their pet’s shots are due. He also needs someone to whip up some nice flyers about the vaccine special they are having in 2 weeks.
Or how about Debbie, who just opened a little coffee shop, but it's not on Main Street. Debbie knows if she can get folks in, then word of mouth will take off and she'll see some real success. She doesn't know much about social media, but she's read it can be pretty powerful for business publicity. She needs to hire a social media manager part-time. She doesn't have the space or a huge budget for someone demanding that.
See what I am getting at? There are great opportunities to be found right in your own town! Here are some helpful tips to get you working from home.
Work at Home Job Search Tips
1. Have a great resume AND cover letter ready. I learned the hard way that just slapping something together wasn't enough. After I had someone professional take a look at my resume, things started happening for me. I was hired by Clear Handbags & More and then I got hired by Uber — both positions work at home and BOTH had LOTS of competition. The same goes for my current tech support job. Although professional resume prep does cost money — there are affordable ones out there and typically something for everyone's budget.
– Certified resume writers that are current on all of the modern trends for resumes and cover letters.
Pro Resume Writing Service
– They are offering 50% off to all MoneyMakingMommy.com visitors.
Resume Writer Direct
– Their resume writers are certified and they boast a “…40% more interviews. Money-back guarantee!”
2. Hand your resume out to the manager or owner of the business personally. Let him/her know you are highly qualified and have a fully equipped home office to work from. Be sure to post your resume as well! Beyond.com is a great site to post your resume for free!
3.Let the employer know you are willing to work on a 1099 basis (you pay your own taxes). This will save them money on taxes!
4.Include a business card with your name, skills and contact info.
5. Follow-up a week later, let the employer know you are still very interested. Don’t let them forget about you!
6. Flip through your phone book for businesses in your area who might need some extra help.
Here are some great places to submit your resume to:
4.Any small retail establishment (pizza joint, cleaners, auto mechanics… etc)
And remember, the internet is truly a great resource for job searching. Through the years, I've maintained a list of over 150 job searching websites, and I keep this list as fresh as possible by adding new job searching sites when I find them and removing dead links when I need to. You can start doing the same thing and have your own list of awesome job sites that you prefer and can easily search each day.
Expand Your Search with Real Work-at-Home Job Leads
Searching for the perfect legitimate work at home job requires patience most of the time. And we've all seen the “work from home stuffing envelopes” scams. We want to avoid those types of scams in our job search. Remember that MoneyMakingMommy.com has a job board with new work at home job leads posted almost every day.