This post may contain affiliate links. Please see the disclosure for more details.
Is My World Plus a Global Opportunity or a Scam?
How nice would it be to save money and make money all at the same time? That is the concept behind My World Plus—sort of like an Entertainment Book with a built-in referral program. You can save money and then try to get others to do the same.
What is My World Plus?
First off, you need to pay to join. There is a sign up fee and a monthly membership fee as well. Once you pay, you will get an identification number and a discount card in the mail. Your number keeps track of your activities. The My World Plus discount card can be used in three ways:
1. Eighty dollars worth of manufacturers coupons are available to you every month and can be used at any grocery store where the coupons are accepted. These coupons can be for paper products, cleaning supplies, food, etc. There is a list of local stores that will offer anywhere from ten to fifteen percent discounts, buy one get one free deals, free memberships for a week or a “we give you this if you buy that” type of program.
2. You will get access to your very own My World Plus portal so if you (or someone else using your portal) make a purchase online at a certain store, you will instantly get money back. While the amount you get is small, it is still something. And do not worry if you do not live in a big city or suburb. Many of the discounts offered are for a wide variety of stores in or near the area you reside.
3. You also receive a My World Plus discount card that can be used offline at your favorite stores (although this part is not what it appears to be).
How Do You Earn Money?
Like most of these at-home opportunities, referrals are the key to making money. As of now, My World Plus will give you twenty-five dollars for every person you get to sign up. You will also receive a commission on their monthly payments. In addition, you can also earn eight dollars for anyone your referrals get to sign up and then five dollars if those people get others to sign up and then three dollars for anyone under them. Basically, the more referrals you have and the more people they refer, the more money you will make.
What is My World Plus’s Payment Plan?
Confusing is one way to describe the My World Plus payment plan. To begin with, in order to make this an at-home opportunity, you are required to join at the top membership level (there are three to choose from, however). The top one is fifty dollars and then $19.95 per month. Then there is what they call their Vertical Acceleration (a fancy term for their referral matrix). Here is an idea of how it works. Let’s say that when you sign up, you become the fifth link. The person who referred you receives twenty five dollars and the person above them gets eight dollars. The next one above gets five dollars and the person at the top gets three dollars.
Now, using yourself as the top person, if you refer someone who signs up under you, you get the twenty-five dollars and then the vertical acceleration begins again down the line with the differing amounts according to where in the line the referrals are. That twenty-five dollars you get is only paid once. After that, you need to get a new referral to join and hope that they get referrals as well to increase your money making potential.
There is also a bonus plan where you can make commissions on the monthly fees that the referrals pay. It only comes out to 2% or roughly forty cents per person. The levels in the business can be worked up to one, two, three, four or five stars which means a better percentage of commission the more stars you have. All in all, they make it a bit confusing with the levels and percentages.
How Does the My World Plus Payment Work?
Payment is made via a check in the mail if you live in the United States. Each week the checks are cut. There is another option of getting payment by debit card from GlobalXChange (used by non-United States residents), but many people have had trouble in the past signing up for the card. PayPal is not an option at all.
How to Sign Up with My World Plus
Right now you can only sign up through a link provided from a current My World Plus member.
While My World Plus has a proven track record of paying its members and seems to be a legitimate company, there are still some negatives that should be pointed out:
• The cost to join is a bit high as well as the monthly fee. In theory you should be saving a lot more than what you are paying, but that may not be the case every month depending on your spending habits and what you need. Many people tend to spend just because they get a discount for something. This is what manufacturers want but you may end up losing money over the long run.
• Getting referrals is not always easy. After you have asked your family and friends, who is left? My World Plus does provide tools to help you get referrals but they will not be useful unless you have people coming to your site (if you even have a site). There is not much in the way of training or how to get traffic to your site. You may be required to invest some time (and money) into Internet marketing training.
• Although not a major deal, the company asks for your phone number and e-mail address which can really bother people who do not wish to be contacted by phone and possibly have their information sold to others. You can use a separate e-mail, but creating a whole new phone number is usually not something people neither want to nor should have to do.
• To follow up with the last point, once you do provide your e-mail address, the company seems to bombard you with e-mail messages with claims that people have already signed up under you which is not true. Reminder e-mails to get referrals is one thing, but saying they exist when they do not is another.
• The owner of the company, Ben Glinsky, does not have the best reputation. If you look him up, you will see both good and bad comments regarding him and his ventures. He seems to work on the same method of charging people to sign up along with monthly membership fees with little to offer as an incentive other than getting referrals.
• My World Plus is really more about referrals than anything else. Sure, you get discounts on things you may need, but after the initial sign-up fee and the monthly fee, how much are you really saving if anything? If getting referrals is not your cup of tea, than this is not a good opportunity for you.
• The coupons you receive are none that you cannot find on your own through coupon websites and other sites. Of course, if you do not have the time or patience to search for these coupons, this is an easy way to get them. But if you are a regular couponer, this may not be worth your time or money.
• Their discount card seems to be lacking in worth. Many stores state that they have never heard of My World Plus when members have tried to use their card or they just do not accept it. The fine print, however, states that you must first go to the websites that My World Plus provides and then print out the coupons you want to use. Those work in the stores with no problem. But then what is the discount card for if you cannot use it? Seems a bit strange to give something to members that they cannot use.
Is My World Plus a Legitimate Opportunity?
The company has been around since 2007 and does show a history of paying its members—all good signs. If you are good at generating referrals who actually are good at getting referrals themselves, you could earn some decent money. Of course, if you are not a go-out-and-get-them type of person, this may cost you more in fees than anything else. Unfortunately for My World Plus, other sites like Ebates and SwagBucks offer coupons that do not cost anything to access. The bottom line is that you do not want to be spending more on fees than what you are saving with coupons or earning on referrals. If that turns out to be the case, then this opportunity is worthless to you.
Back to Work at Home Company Reviews