Television Captioner (WORK AT HOME)
This is a remote position
Our Exciting Opportunity:
Red Bee Media specializes in the delivery and promotion of digital media and offers the complete range of services required to promote, playout and provide access to broadcast content across all media, from television to mobile phones, connecting the world’s content to audiences everywhere.
Headquartered in the UK, we have over 1000 staff in London alone and revenues in excess of £100million. Our UK team is the largest playout and channel management business in the UK, providing critical services to a number of broadcasters including the BBC, BT Sport, UKTV, Channel 4 and Five. We also have smaller but equally important operations across Europe, Australia and the US, providing accessibility in numerous time zones and creating a global team that can handle output at any time of the day. Access Services provide a vital service which makes programs accessible for the visually-impaired, deaf and hearing-impaired audiences.
Do you have a passion for TV? Do you have a broad vocabulary and an excellent grasp of spelling, punctuation and grammar? Do you have an interest in British television, worldwide news and/or politics? If so, you would be an ideal candidate to become a Captioner with our Access Services team.
In this role, you will make content accessible to audiences with sensory disabilities on behalf of customers, providing both live and offline captions for a wide variety of television and digital output. Captions are produced primarily using voice recognition software and a process called “respeaking”. This involves listening to the audio of a program (sometimes in real time as it broadcasts live on TV) and repeating the dialogue while adding punctuation – all with your voice! With our pre-recorded output, you’ll also be responsible for ensuring the captions match the timecodes of the audio track. You will also ensure that the access services files and streams convey messages in line with the relevant editorial and regulatory policies.
You would be working in a broadcast environment, providing accessibility to audiences in multiple territories. Our clients are based all over the world, and we have operations in numerous time zones to provide services 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Captioners must be prepared and able to work on a rotational shift pattern, covering a range of shifts.
This role will be entirely remote – you will be provided with all the equipment needed to do the work. We will require you to have a certain bandwidth/speed of internet to be able to handle downloading/uploading of media. As this is a homeworked role, training will be done remotely with shared desktops and face-to-face online sessions by our trainers. You will also participate in video call team meetings, where you’ll get to know your colleagues around the glo
- A bachelor’s degree, preferably in an English or media-related major
- The ability to learn and adapt to new technologies and processes, and to apply and share learned skills and knowledge quickly
- Strong time-management skills as well as the ability to work under pressure and prioritize effectively
- Ability to remain calm, think quickly and make good editorial decisions within an unpredictable and pressurized environment
- Develop strong working relationships within a short space of time
- Work cooperatively with others as part of a remote team
- Provide a clear commitment to continuous improvement in performance both on a team and an individual basis
- The ability to react positively to change
- An excellent standard of written and spoken English
- Excellent proofreading skills
- A clear and confident speaking voice
- An interest in, and a wide knowledge of, a very wide range of television output
- An awareness of ongoing developments in the broadcasting industry
- A keen interest in current affairs, politics and sport, both national and international
To apply for this job please visit jobs.ericsson.com.