The Assistant Editor plays a key role in executing AFAR’s editorial vision by developing, writing, and editing stories for both digital and print.
· Pitch and write stories daily for AFAR
· Assist senior travel news editor by owning beat coverage (such as arts and culture, outdoor adventure, food and drink, etc.)
· Assist senior commerce editor with story updates
· Build AP news stories and help with story production in the CMS
· Research and report search-led stories monthly
· Assist senior editors with research, writing, fact-checking, production, and basic photo research for digital and print features and packages
· Contribute to edit lineup brainstorms
· Develop a robust travel industry network through meetings and interviews with travel PR representatives, executives, travel advisors, and other industry sources
· Report and write a wide range of stories, from shorter briefs to more in-depth reported stories and features
· Research and identify trending travel stories and topics for potential coverage
· Smart editorial instincts
· Excellent organizational, communication, and time management skills.
· An orientation towards high-quality professional journalism with strong reporting skills
· Excellent interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills
· Team player who enjoys collaborating with others and gets satisfaction from helping teammates do their best
· Must be a proactive self-starter with a collaborative spirit
· Must possess the ability to manage multiple projects at once
· Must be detail-oriented and deadline-savvy
· Must have a passion for travel, and be interested in conceptualizing new and interesting ways to cover travel
· Experience in a fast-paced news writing environment with the ability to quickly turn around stories on a wide range of topics
· Knowledge of the travel industry a plus
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.