This post may contain affiliate links. Please see the disclosure for more details.
Medical Billing From Your Own Home
Today, even household wives and mothers, working students, the handicapped, and unemployed are able to work and earn at home through medical billing. As the healthcare industry continues to grow, professional healthcare providers in various fields including physical therapy, internal medicine, radiology, psychiatry, cardiology, pediatric neurology, orthopedic, gastroenterology, and others more, find that they need all the help that they can get when it comes to the time-consuming task of billing. That is why today, medical billing has become one of the most popular home-based professions not just in the United States but in developing Southeast Asian countries.
The demand for medical billing specialists is constantly growing. So if you are a stay-at-home mom or an unemployed citizen, try looking into a medical billing and coding career. There are lots of opportunities within the profession. These include:
– billing specialist
– reimbursement specialist
– billing coordinator
– claims analyst
– claims reviewer and processor
– patient account representative
Salary from a medical billing career remains promising as long as you are detail-oriented and patient.
What is required of medical billing specialists?
Medical billing specialists are expected to be familiar with medical terminology and anatomy, be able to comprehend and accomplish forms and coding, type at the average speed of 35 words per minute, and possess basic computer skills.
Apart from this, training in medical billing is required. Although certification is not required, it comes highly-recommended by most clients and employers. Certification will certainly help if you wish to advance in the profession. Most employers do not often require experience as long as you have accomplished training. If you are a mother, a working student, are handicapped, or unemployed, you may opt to finish online medical billing courses and start working for a firm that has vacancies. Otherwise, you have the option to work independently and create your own clientele. However, some long-standing medical billing firms require some amount of experience and would only allow ex-in-house medical workers such as nurses to do home-based medical billing.
Working at home has a lot of advantages. In this way, you are able to gain control of your working environment and schedule. The handicapped, most especially, who are often politely declined by employers in offices, can find work at home with a career in medical billing.
What are the responsibilities of a medical billing specialist?
– A medical billing specialist should be able to properly encode patient’s data and fill out claims submission forms correctly.
– Moreover, a successful billing agent must be able to solve problems involving discrepancies and other complications involving client’s records. The ability to do so would be helpful in avoiding errors in claim reports, thus, hurdling the troubles of re-assessment when a billing statement is rejected by the insurance company.
– Highly-paid billers also act as insurance consultants to both the physician and the patient. Those who are knowledgeable with insurance guidelines and regulations have better chances of being re-hired or keeping their clientele.
– Successful medical billing specialists must also be confident when it comes to facing their clients as well as the insurance companies. They must be relentless when it comes to following up EOBs or Explanation of Benefits and updating their clients with progress reports.
Scams and Medical Billing
Helpful Job Search Information
Be sure to check out my Medical Billing, Coding and Transcription Job Board to find work at home job leads in this field. As well – you can search the regular work at home job board too for leads. Both boards are updated frequently.
Return to the Medical Billing and Coding from Home